Scalable Game Design wiki
| Mission: Reinventing computer science in public schools by motivating & educating all students including women and underrepresented communities to learn about computer science through game design starting at the middle school level.
Results: The project aimed at instructing 1200 students in 3 years but exceeded expectations in the first semester of implementation. The project has turned into the largest study of middle school computer science education in the USA with over 10,000 subjects from Alaska to Texas; from East coast to West coast including some of the most diverse and toughest schools in the nation; 45% of the students were girls, 64% of the girls want to continue! research summary...
June 10 - 16, 3 levels: Beginner, Intermediate STEM, Advanced 3D Games + 3D STEM
This training is available to school teachers.
2014 Institute for Districts
June 20 - 22 at the University of Colorado Boulder
- Priority acceptance of Adams 12, Aurora Public Schools, Boulder Valley School District, and St. Vrain Valley School District teachers
- Information available through your district's Instructional Technology office
Want to Know What's Coming up with Scalable Game Design Project?
- New paper published "Beyond Minecraft: Facilitating Computational Thinking through Modeling and Programming in 3D", May 23, 2014.
- New York City Computer Science Foundation bringing Scalable Game Design to NYC middle schools late July.
- eMINTS University of Missouri to pilot SGD online and blended (online plus face to face) teacher Professional Development training in August through October of 2014. This course is full for Fall but will be offered again. To be considered for future trainings please fill out the interest form found on the eMINTS blog page. Learn more about this project on the eMINTS Networked Teaching and Learning Blog: http://blog.emints.org/2014/03/12/coding-in-the-classroom/
- Colorado professor out to prove computer coding isn’t just a guy thing, Interview Colorado Public Radio, April 2, 2014
- Hour of Code AgentCubes Online Activity Still Available!
- Check out the brand new AgentCubes Online Lite activity for free starting summer, 2014.
- A self-paced video tutorial leads beginner through expert game designers through the process of creating 3 dimensional arcade-style games. Experienced AgentSheets/AgentCubes designers can move straight into complex simulation design including Artificial Intelligence with the full version of AgentCubes Online available for subscription.
- 10/30/13: Scalable Game Design was featured at the NY Tech Meetup, November 4, Skirball Theater at NYU.
- 10/1/13: Scalable Game Design has been covered in WIRED Magazine.
- Follow Scalable Game Design on Facebook
Games and Simulations
Uploads and Downloads
Help for Teachers