2014 SI Beginner Level
2014 Scalable Game Design Summer Institute Beginner Level
June 10 - 12 (Tuesday - Thursday)
June 10 8:30 - 5:30
June 11 8:30 - 5:30
June 12 8:30 - 5:30, optional STEM workshop and dinner 5:30 - 9:00, RSVP required
Learn how to teach students game design and programming by mastering the creation of games ranging from simple 1980's arcade games like Frogger and progressing to more sophisticated games such as the Sims using the AgentSheets software.
- Why code?
- Designing your first game, Frogger
- How to problem solve and debug your game
- Designing your second project
- The design process
- How to grade/assess projects
- Computational thinking and assessing knowledge acquisition
- Impact of pedagogy on motivation and knowledge acquisition
- How to conduct research in the classroom
- Intro to STEM and game design
Requirements: FIRST TIME PARTICIPANTS ONLY
- Does not require previous programming experience, but must be familiar with laptop/track pad use, and be highly comfortable with a variety of software.
- Bring a laptop computer with charger to the workshops (no netbooks).
- Minimum Operating System for Windows: Windows 7 Home Premium (not Starter), and any Mac.
- Must pre-load software and TEST it prior to attendance.
- Mandatory homework prior to arrival.