2015 SI Beginner Level
2015 Scalable Game Design Summer Institute Beginner Level
June 8 - 11 (Monday - Thursday)
June 8th: 8:30 - 5:30
June 9th: 8:30 - 5:30
June 10th: 8:30 - 5:30, and dinner 6:15 - 8:00, RSVP required
June 11th: 8:30 - 5:30
June 12th: 8:30 - 5:30 OPTIONAL SGD Playground: Creation Open Lab Day
Learn how to teach students game design and programming by mastering the creation of games ranging from simple 1980's arcade games like Frogger and progressing to more sophisticated games such as the Sims using the AgentSheets software.
- Why code?
- Is computer science only about coding?
- Designing your first game, Frogger
- How to problem solve and debug your game
- Designing your second project
- The design process
- How to grade/assess projects
- Computational thinking and assessing knowledge acquisition
- Impact of pedagogy on motivation and knowledge acquisition
- Guided-discovery, inquiry based learning practice
- How to conduct research in the classroom
Requirements: FIRST TIME PARTICIPANTS ONLY
- Does not require previous programming experience, but must be familiar with laptop/track pad use, and be highly comfortable with a variety of software.
- Bring a laptop computer with charger to the workshops (no netbooks).
- Bring a mouse if needed.
- Minimum Operating System for Windows: Windows 7 Home Premium (not Starter), and any Mac.
- Must pre-load software and TEST it (pre-work) prior to attendance.
- Mandatory pre-work prior to arrival.