2016 SI Intermediate Level
INTERMEDIATE 3D ONLINE GAME DESIGN FOR RETURNING SGD TEACHERS
Teachers who have attended 3D Game Design training in the past do not qualify for a Research Scholar seat. Though you cannot attend Summer Institute, you can still participate in Scalable Game Design project. See the FAQ section below.
- Thursday, June 9 to Saturday, June 11
- 8:30 am - 5:30 pm daily
- Thursday, June 9, optional group dinner at the Center for Community on campus. $9.50/person
- Thursday, June 9 to Saturday, June 11
NEW FOR 2016: Teachers have an exciting opportunity for early access to a cloud programming environment called AgentCubes Online, a browser based computational thinking tool, and will help shape and develop it to its final classroom version. Teachers attending this year's Summer Institute must be aware that they will be using a cutting-edge, innovative tool for computer science education in schools, with computer and internet requirements that differ from the downloadable versions of our previous tools. All applicants to Summer Institute will be required to test the software prior to acceptance, to ensure that your laptop and your school lab computers can run the software. NOTE: AgentCubes Online has been successfully piloted by classroom teachers. The software has also been used during large-scale National Computer Science Education Week (Hour of Code) with very positive results. If you are not sure if you qualify to attend this year's Institute, read the FAQ below, then continue through the application information pages.
BEGIN THE APPLICATION PROCESS BY CLICKING ON THE BELOW BOX.
You will be asked to read through two information pages (including computer testing procedure) before filling out the application.
Frequent Asked Questions
What if I took AgentCubes 2.1 training before, but I want to come take the AgentCubes Online training this year?
- Because our seats are so limited, we cannot accept applications for teachers who have already attended any kind of 3D game design training. We will have all teaching and student support materials for AgentCubes Online game design on the wiki starting June so it will be an easy transition for you to move to the online version at your school.
What if I want to implement in my class using AgentCubes Online and also collect research data?
- Great! Our software sponsor, AgentSheets, Inc. has generously offered to provide free AgentCubes Online access for the school year to current research teachers who agree to collect student research data using the online 3D tool. You will need to let me know that this is your intent so I can send you the new Teacher Agreement and Teacher Consent forms in the spring.
What if I want to keep using AgentSheets 2D in my class and collect data in 2016-17?
- Our software sponsor, AgentSheets, Inc. has generously offered to provide free AgentSheets keys for the school year to current research teachers who agree to collect student research data using the 2D tool. You will need to let me know that this is your intent so I can send you the new Teacher Agreement and Teacher Consent forms in the spring.
What if I want to keep using AgentCubes Downloadable in my class and collect data in 2016-17?
- Our software sponsor, AgentSheets, Inc. has generously offered to provide free AgentCubes Downloadable keys for the school year to current research teachers who agree to collect student research data using the downloadable 3D tool. You will need to let me know that this is your intent so I can send you the new Teacher Agreement and Teacher Consent forms in the spring.
What if I want to learn ACOnline 3D and use that to collect data, but also use AgentSheets 2D in the classroom?
- You can do both. Our software sponsor’s request is that in the case of receiving both keys for free, you agree to collect data for each implementation. In the case you let students choose which tool (only works for very advanced and experienced students), a single larger class using both tools and collecting data would be acceptable. If you only collect data using ACOnline, and not for AgentSheets 2D, then you would need to purchase a subscription or buy the 2D software outright - see final question.
What if I want to use ACOnline 3D game design in class, but do not want to participate in data collection?
- Your school will need to pay for software use ($90 – incredible deal for the entire school) during the school year, which would be paid to the software company directly. All the support materials available on the wiki will remain open source. Subscriptions can be secured through AgentSheets, Inc.
What if I don’t want to collect data at all, but continue to offer Scalable Game Design activities in my classroom?
- Our software sponsor has agreed to offer software access to current research participants for a large discount for a year for your school. AgentSheets software is available for a one year subscription to a school (up to 30 machines) for $240. AgentSheets can also be purchased outright (forever key) from the software company for $598.80 for installing onto up to 30 machines. AgentCubes Downloadable and AgentCubes Online software will be available for $90/school, unlimited student use. All software subscriptions and purchases will be made through AgentSheets, Inc.