2017 Research Scholar Selection Process
- APPLICATION CLOSES ON MAY 15, MONDAY AT NOON
For Summer Institute 2017, teachers who apply to attend as a Research Scholar (a teacher who attends training for no cost, receives free use of the software for a year, implements Scalable Game Design curricula in the classroom, and collects student data) will be selected based on our remaining National Science Foundation project's Scope of Work. Generally, we are seeking Colorado teachers whose classroom can be observed, new and currently participating schools with a diverse population of students, and a strategic scaling up of participation by currently participating school districts.
RESEARCH SCHOLARS WILL BE NOTIFIED OF SELECTION BY on a rolling bases.
- 25 Beginner level Research Scholars new to the project will be selected
- Attend Summer Institute free of charge (market price $800)
- Their schools receive unlimited use software access for a year in exchange for collecting student motivation survey data and submitting games
- The teacher receives a $200 classroom implementation stipend with the possibility of additional observation and student showcase stipends
- Travel and lodging scholarships are available
- 40 Intermediate and Advanced level Research Scholars who are currently project teachers will be selected
- Attend Summer Institute free of charge (market price $800) AND receive an attendance stipend (amount TBD).
- If the teacher participates in observations, a stipend of $200 is provided
AS SCHOLARS APPLY THROUGH THE APPLICATION FORM, EACH APPLICANT WILL BE ASSESSED FOR THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
Selection criteria for BEGINNER level Research Scholar slots (more points if you…)
- MANDATORY: Email the URL of the AgentCubes Online Lite project you create following the instruction in the Using an Early Access Programming Tool page. (Scholars will not be considered for research if this pre-test of their computers is missing)
- Colorado teachers whom we can observe in a one day trip from Boulder
- New school and/or district that meet other criteria regarding diversity, rural/inner city
- Cohorts of multiple teachers in the same school/district (new or currently part of the project) that meet other criteria regarding diversity, rural/inner city
- Teacher experience and confidence using new curriculum and an in-development technology tool in the classroom (meaning willing to deal with potential glitches, bugs and communicate with us)
- Teacher has good local and/or district IT support to identify and localize problems to a computer, lab, network, etc.
- High diversity schools
- Rural or inner city schools
INTERMEDIATE and ADVANCED level Research Scholar must be:
- Returning project teachers who have taught at least one complete unit of Scalable Game Design, i.e. taught Frogger using 3D software.
- Completed data collection at least once (permission forms, student motivation data, game project submission).
- MANDATORY: Email the URL of the AgentCubes Online Lite project you create following the instruction in the Using an Early Access Programming Tool page if you have not taught using AgentCubes Online yet, or your lab computers changed since you last taught using AgentCubes Online.
- Teacher has taught students using AgentCubes-Desktop and/or AgentCubes Online.
Teachers not selected as Research Scholars can register for Summer Institute on a space-available basis at a discounted price, starting April 15.