2017 SI Intermediate-Advanced Level
INTERMEDIATE 3D ONLINE GAME DESIGN FOR RETURNING SGD TEACHERS
- APPLICATION CLOSES ON MAY 15, MONDAY AT NOON
Any and all teachers who have participated in Scalable Game Design project since 2009 are welcome to attend this year's Summer Institute. The only limitations on acceptance are 1) you know how to use AgentCubes Online, 2) your school computers can run AgentCubes Online, 3) maximum of 40 seats are available for Returning Scholars.
- Wednesday, June 7 to Saturday, June 10
- 8:00 am - 5:30 pm daily
- Wednesday, June 7, group dinner
- Wednesday, June 7 to Saturday, June 10
NEW THIS YEAR for returning teachers- receive an attendance stipend for coming to Summer Institute
Because we are rolling out a new and exciting format for Scalable Game Design professional development, all returning teachers will receive an attendance stipend this summer. The exact amount of the stipend will vary depending on which Design & Development workshops you attend, how many returning teachers attend, and how many teachers need lodging.
What is the new format for returning teachers?
Each of the four professional development days will offer a combination of plenary sessions, 90 minute, 3 hour, and all day workshops on a variety of topics facilitated by the research team as well as experienced project teachers. The goals of this year's Summer Institute are to help our experienced teachers expand their knowledge and take their students to the next level of game and simulation design, share knowledge and information, and co-create and develop new curricular content.
Using the early access cloud programming environment called AgentCubes Online, a browser based computational thinking tool, returning teachers will attend game and simulation design intermediate and advanced workshops of a variety of topics. Teachers attending this year's Summer Institute must be aware that they will be using a cutting-edge, innovative tool for computer science education in schools, with computer and internet requirements that differ from the downloadable versions of our previous tools.
Because you have all already used AgentCubes Online in your classrooms, you are not required to send us a test URL UNLESS your hardware is changing for the 2017-18 school year.
BEGIN THE APPLICATION PROCESS BY CLICKING ON THE BELOW BOX.
You will be asked to read through two information pages (including computer testing procedure) before filling out the application.
Frequent Asked Questions
What if I took AgentCubes 2.1 training before, but I want to come take the AgentCubes Online training this year?
- AgentCubes Online professional development for experienced SGD teachers will take the basic knowledge of building Frogger using AgentCubes Online and taking it to the next level. So yes, if you learned to use the desktop 3D AgentCubes took, you are welcome to attend this summer's professional development that uses the 3D Online tool. We assume you have built at least Frogger using AgentCubes Online before coming to Summer Institute. We can provide a link to the full-version of the Hour of Code Frogger tutorial.
What if I want to keep using AgentSheets 2D in my class and collect data in 2016-17?
- Our software sponsor, AgentSheets, Inc. has generously offered to provide free AgentSheets keys for the school year to current research teachers who agree to collect student research data using the 2D tool. You will need to let us know that this is your intent so I can send you the new Teacher Agreement and Teacher Consent forms in the spring.
What if I want to keep using AgentCubes Downloadable in my class and collect data in 2016-17?
- Our software sponsor, AgentSheets, Inc. has generously offered to provide free AgentCubes Downloadable keys for the school year to current research teachers who agree to collect student research data using the downloadable 3D tool. You will need to let us know that this is your intent so I can send you the new Teacher Agreement and Teacher Consent forms in the spring.
What if I want to learn ACOnline 3D and use that to collect data, but also use AgentSheets 2D in the classroom?
- You can do both. Our software sponsor’s request is that in the case of receiving both keys for free, you agree to collect data for each implementation. In the case you let students choose which tool (only works for very advanced and experienced students), a single larger class using both tools and collecting data would be acceptable. If you do not collect data using AgentSheets 2D, then you would need to purchase access to the 2D software from the software sponsor.
What if I want to use ACOnline 3D game design in class, but do not want to participate in data collection?
- Your school will need to pay for software use ($90 – incredible deal for the entire school) during the school year, which would be paid to the software company directly. All the support materials available on the wiki will remain open source. Subscriptions can be secured through AgentSheets, Inc.
What if I don’t want to collect data at all, but continue to offer Scalable Game Design activities in my classroom?
- Our software sponsor has agreed to offer software access to previous research participants for a large discount for a year for your school. Please contact AgentSheets, Inc. for pricing. AgentSheets, Inc.